So…What Do We Know So Far ?!
Let’s break things down a little bit, and take a look at all information that we gathered over the last few days since NAB 2018.I won’t be covering information available at Blackmagic Design website, as it’s just going to be waste of time, but rather take a look and hopefully answer some questions users may have that not covered on official website.
First of all let’s talk about sensor. In this chart that I made, Comparison is pretty clear. Despite 4k capability, blackmagic design pocket cinema camera 4k (bmpcc4k) is still pretty tiny, comparing to it’s older brothers.
As we can see, size wise it’s no match for giants like Arri Alexa 65, or even RED Dragon. It’s not fair comparison you may say, well it’s not! Numbers are there just to give you perceptual value of what we dealing here.
The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful
Since Friday, as first poster photo of new BMPCC4k camera leaked online, people been copying each other ridiculous phrase that the camera is ugly and blah blah blah. I find those claims to be nothing but amateur comments by people who have no idea about filmmaking. Camera resembles classic DSLR look, which many people very familiar with, this time grip looks solid, and design much more fluid than the original pocket camera.
WHO SHOULD NOT BUY THIS CAMERA
If you are YouTube Vlogger, this camera may not be for you for following reasons.
- It doesn’t have IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) so you would have to know how to operate real cinema camera.
- It doesn’t have auto focus, you would have to focus manually, like the rest of us.
- If you don’t know cinematography or not planning on learning. This camera is serious cinematography tool, it is not for point and shoot.
- This will not be lightweight camera. If you planning on riding boosted board across NY filming yourself, this may not be good choice for you. Despite comfortable form factor, it is meant for control environment.
- For best results, you will have to color grade your footage. Despite having ability to dropb and bake LUT into the file, you would still need to touch up what you shot later. If you not willing to be taken care of that, it may not be your best choice.
- Build in microphone may not be best suited for final recording quality, so you may need to look into purchasing additional audio equipment.
WHO SHOULD BUY THIS CAMERA
- Cinematographers, anyone who is learning or current cinematographer. This camera is absolute steal for what it’s gonna offer.
- Film School Students! Just like mentioned above, it is amazing sub $20,000 camera that offers incredible set of features.
- INDIE Filmmakers, this camera was design for you! Not only you getting incredible camera, but also full package software from editing to final delivery at laughable price.
- Stock Footage, with such a small factor and such an incredible offer, this camera is perfect for getting stock footage. True 4k DCI in such a small factor is incredible offer.
Any More Mysteries ?
One thing that remains little bit mysterious at the time of this blog post, is how dual ISO is going to work. Despite the chart that blackmagic showed during their live event, it’s still little bit unclear how exactly camera going to perform in low light. What we do know that camera is capable of shooting 25000 ISO, which is very large number. I personally suspect that footage will not be usable anywhere around that number, however it’s nice to speculate and hope, that we can do at least 1600 ISO without significant issues.
In Conclusion, I want to say Sincere THANK YOU to Grant Petty Blackmagic Design CEO and Entire Blackmagic Design TEAM for creating such a beautiful camera, and giving opportunity to regular people to become filmmakers. Personally I would never become a filmmaker and photographer myself without your original Cinema Camera 2.5k